Legalising a UK Document for Use in Spain

If you need to use any official document from the UK in Spain, you will need to legalise it. Without legalization, Spanish officials may not accept it. The most common legalizations of documents are related to:

  • Education titles so that a candidate can show that he or she meets the requirements of a university or school.
  • Civil certificates, most likely birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates for many different processes in Spain.
  • Court documents.

Both Spain and the UK signed the Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH). As a result, the legalization of the documents is much simpler than in countries which did not sign the HCCH.

Do I Need to Translate It?

Many people confuse translations or certificate translations with legalization. The fact is that it is very likely that if you need to legalise a document, you will also need to translate it, but it is not always the case.

In order to know if you need both translation and legalization, you have to ask the official who is requiring the documents. The problem with certificate translations is that not any person able to speak both languages can do it. The consequence is that this kind of translation is significantly more expensive than a regular translation.

We always like to clarify that, in many circumstances, you can do the same in a public office and in a notary office. In some cases, notaries do not need to ask for translations when they understand the language of the documents. As a result, you can save some money thanks to this.

We can help you legalise any document you need so that you can use it in Spain or vice versa. Get in touch.

How Can You Get an Apostille in Spain?

We can help you with this, but in case you want to do it on your own, you can check the Royal Decree: el Real Decreto 1497/2011, de 24 de octubre, por el que se determinan los funcionarios y autoridades competentes para realizar la legalización única o Apostilla prevista por el Convenio XII de la Conferencia de La Haya de Derecho Internacional Privado, de 5 de octubre de 1961.

Each type of document has to be legalised in a different place; but since education documents are one of the most likely needs for our readers, we can tell you that the regulation states that the regional office of Ministry of Education (located in each autonomous community) can legalise documents from universities. We recommend Apostille Services for help legalising a document, alternatively you can contact us and we will be happy to help.

15th October 2019
//Spanish Probate Matters